Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Willow Bend Vista

Willow Bend Vista

11” x 14”
Acrylic on Canvas

One of the most wonderful aspects of joining the Plein Air Painters of the Four Corners is that we get to paint at some great locations on private land that are only open to the group. This was one of those opportunities along the Animas River, where we had permission to set up in the common area of a small group of homes.

It was a full-on summer heatwave, so we started earlier than usual to beat the heat. What a gorgeous spot! I found a shady place and as I set up my gear, I realized I had forgotten my white paint. Yikes. Talk about an art crisis. White is kind of critical when working with acrylic paint. And I was the only painter using acrylic that day.

Fortunately, one of the other artists who was working with watercolor had a small vial of acrylic paint she loaned to me. I carefully put out a few drops of white on my palette at a time so I wouldn’t use up the small amount she had with her. It made for an interesting painting challenge, for sure! When I got home, where my white was patiently waiting, I was able to finish up the piece.

No comments: