Monday, April 8, 2013

Roadside Canvas



 Roadside Canvas
12" X 9"
Mixed Media

This is a departure from my usual subject matter. Though I love old, broken down buildings, I do not draw or paint them very often. 

Once, when I was in visiting my grandparents in Pennsylvania, I took dozens of photos of dilapidated barns and farmhouses. My grandpa finally said to me, "You know I could take you by some nice barns that aren't all worn out if you want some good photos."

"No, Papa. That's OK. I like the old ones."

This piece is a mix of watercolor, acrylic, and colored pencil—and yes, I used opaque white. It's a small piece, so I needed the pencil to help capture the detail and the white paint for contrast against the warm weathered brick and stone.

It is an old Standard Oil gas station on Highway 160 at Cow Springs on the Navaho Nation. I tried to find out more about it, but all I found were a bajillion photos of the ruins taken over the years by people on their way somewhere else. 

Some day I'd like to stop and look around rather than frantically snapping photos while whizzing by at 65 mph. We too, were on our way to Colorado, racing against the daylight, so there was no stopping for photos.

Like this old station, I'm at a crossroads once again, not sure where I want to go next with my art. We were planning a camping trip where I hoped to get some plein air* painting in, but we had to cancel it. Sigh. I get some of my greatest inspiration on our trips to the wide-open spaces.

However, I have plenty of images for inspiration right here at home. And some lovely creamy printmaking paper that is begging me to take another run at monoprinting. I’m thinking about what I might do with some sepia ink and that yummy paper…if only I could go up to the studio right now. 

* We do have a road trip planned in the near future where I hope to spend time sitting in the dirt with my watercolors.

No comments: